This pre-authorization list includes services and supplies that require pre-authorization or notification for FEP members in Idaho. View pre-authorization requirements for FEP members of other Regence plans:
Important pre-authorization reminders
- Failure to pre-authorize services subject to pre-authorization requirements will result in an administrative denial, claim non-payment and provider and facility write-off. Members may not be balance billed.
- Before requesting pre-authorization, please verify eligibility and benefits via the Availity Portal as the member contract determines the covered benefits.
- Verify that you are an in-network provider for each member to help reduce his or her out-of-pocket expense.
- If services are to be rendered in a facility, the pre-authorization request submitted should designate the facility where the treatment will occur to ensure proper reconciliation with related inpatient claims.
- Contract exclusions will not be pre-authorized. Denials may be appealed through FEP Provider Customer Service.
- Pre-authorizations obtained within 30 business days prior to service are valid except in the case of misrepresentation.
- Urgent/Emergent services do not require pre-authorization but are subject to hospital admission notification requirements (see below).
- Pre-authorization decisions will be communicated.
Pre-authorization review timeframes
|Type of review||Timeframe||Additional time allowed for review if additional information is needed:|
|Standard initial and concurrent||15 calendar days||None|
|Urgent concurrent||24 hours||72 hours|
Note that additional timeframes are after receipt of the documentation or the timeframe for submission of the requested information has expired - whichever comes first.
Payment implications for failure to pre-authorize services
Failure to secure approval for services subject to pre-authorization will result in claim non-payment and provider liability. Our members must be held harmless and cannot be balance billed.
Please note the following:
- Health Plan reimbursement policies may affect how claims are reimbursed and payment of benefits is subject to all plan provisions, including eligibility for benefits. Services must always be medically necessary.
There may be exceptions to obtaining pre-authorization. The six situations listed below may apply as part of our Extenuating Circumstances Policy Criteria (PDF):
- Member presented with an incorrect member ID card or member number or indicated they were self-pay, and that no coverage was in place at the time of treatment, or the participating provider or facility is unable to identify from which carrier or its designated or contracted representative to request a pre-authorization.
- Natural disaster prevented the provider or facility from securing a pre-authorization or providing hospital admission notification.
- Member is unable to communicate (e.g., unconscious) medical insurance coverage. Neither family nor collateral support present can provide coverage information.
- Compelling evidence the provider attempted to obtain pre-authorization. The evidence shall support the provider followed our policy and that the required information was entered correctly by the provider office into the appropriate system.
- A surgery which requires pre-authorization occurs in an urgent/emergent situation. Services are subject to review post-service for medical necessity
- A participating provider or facility is unable to anticipate the need for a pre-authorization before or while performing a service or surgery.
Learn how to notify us about an extenuating circumstance (PDF).
Use PreManage for notification
We receive admissions and discharge information through PreManage.
Direct clinical information reviews (MCG Health)
For select CPT codes, Availity's electronic authorization tool automatically routes you to MCG Health's website where you can document specific clinical criteria for your patient. If all criteria are met, you will see the approval on the Auth/Referral Dashboard soon after you click submit. Once all criteria are documented, you will then be routed back to the Availity Portal to attach supporting documentation and submit the request. Documenting complete and accurate clinical information for your patients helps to reduce the overall time it takes to review a pre-authorization request.
This applies to pre-authorizations for our group and Individual, Uniform Medical Plan (UMP) and Blue Cross and Blue Shield Federal Employee Program® (BCBS FEP®) members. It does not currently include Medicare Advantage pre-authorizations. View the services that may receive automated approval (PDF).
Chemical dependency and mental health
Contact Blue Cross of Idaho Medical Management at 1 (877) 908-0972.
See the Other services section below for requirements for Applied Behavior Analysis.
Contact Blue Cross of Idaho Medical Management at 1 (866) 482-2250.
Hospice services - home hospice
Contact Blue Cross of Idaho Medical Management at 1 (866) 482-2250.
Organ / tissue transplants
Organ/tissue transplants: Contact Blue Cross of Idaho Medical Management at 1 (866) 482-2250.
Clinical trials for certain organ/tissue transplants - for blood or marrow stem cell transplants: Contact Blue Cross of Idaho Medical Management at 1 (866) 482-2250.
Gene Therapy and Cellular Immunotherapy
Gene therapy and cellular immunotherapy: Contact Blue Cross of Idaho Medical Management at 1 (866) 482-2250.
Submit a pre-authorization request to Regence for the services listed below.
Availity Portal: Read the information carefully to ensure your request meets the qualifications, then check the box on the form to attest that it is an expedited request
- Learn more about submitting requests through Availity
- Via fax using the approporiate pre-authorization request form below.
- Submit an electronic pre-authorization request, and supporting clinical documentation through the Availity Portal Login>Patient Registration>Authorizations & Referrals>Authorizations
- Submit a pre-authorization request form
Phone or fax
Submit the appropriate pre-authorization request form only if unable to submit online or if submitting an expedited request:
- Medical services (PDF)
- Behavioral health services (PDF)
- Durable medical equipment (DME) (PDF)
- Skilled nursing facility (SNF), long term acure care (LTAC) and inpatient rehabilitation (PDF)
Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)
- Pre-authorization is required prior to the initial treatment.
- Pre-authorization is required for continued ABA and related services, including assessments, evaluations and treatment.
- 0362T, 0373T, 97151, 97152, 97153, 97154, 97155, 97156, 97157, 97158
Pre-authorization is required for BRCA testing and testing for large genomic rearrangements in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes whether performed for preventive or diagnostic reasons.
- , 81212, 81215, 81216, 81217, 81162, 81163, 81164, 81165, 81166, 81167
Congenital abnormalities (Surgical correction)
- 0254T, 23400, 27158, 27258, 27259, 27727, 31300, 33813, 33814, 34707, 34708, 35180, 35182, 35184, 40700, 40701, 40702, 40720, 40761, 42200, 42205, 42210, 42215, 42220, 42225, 43313, 43314, 44126, 44127, 44128, 47700, 50070, 50135, 50405, 52400, 61613. 61680, 61682, 61684, 61686, 61690, 61692, 61705, 61708, 61710, 63250, 63251, 63252, 69320. 93580, 93581
Gender reassignment surgery
- A treatment plan, including all surgeries planned and the estimated date each will be performed, is required.
- 17380, 19303, 19304, 53410, 53430, 54125, 54400, 54401, 54405, 54520, 54660, 54690, 55175, 55180, 55899, 55970,55980, 56625, 56805, 57110, 57291, 57292, 57335, 58150, 58180, 58260, 58262, 58275, 58290, 58291, 58541, 58542, 58543, 58544, 58550, 58552, 58553, 58554, 58570, 58571, 58572, 58573, 58661, 58720, 58999, C1813, C2622
Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Prior approval is required for all outpatient IMRT services EXCEPT those related to treatment of the head, neck, breast, prostate or anal cancer. NOTE: Brain cancer is not considered a form of head or neck cancer; therefore, prior approval is required for IMRT treatment of brain cancer.
- 77301, 77338, 77385, 77386
- G6015, G6016
Obesity surgery (bariatric)
- 43644, 43645, 43770, 43773, 43775, 43845, 43846, 43847, 43848
- Surgery needed to correct accidental injuries to jaws, cheeks, lips, tongue, roof and floor of mouth.
- 0150T, 1511T, 21010, 21050, 21060, 21070, 21073, 21193, 21194, 21195, 21196, 21198, 21199, 21206, 21210, 21215, 21240, 21242, 21243, 21244, 21245, 21246, 21247, 21248, 21249, 21440, 21445, 21452, 21454, 21461, 21462, 21465, 21470, 21480, 21485, 21490, 21497, 29804, 40510, 40520, 40525, 40527, 40530, 40650, 40652, 40654, 40800, 40801, 40804, 40805, 40830, 40831, 41000, 41005, 41006, 41007, 41008, 41009, 41015, 41016, 41017, 41018, 41250, 41251, 41252, 42180, 42182
Air ambulance transport (non-emergent)
- A0430, A0431, A0435, A0436
- Pre-authorization is required for sleep studies performed outside a home setting; 95782, 95783, 95803, 95805, 95807, 95808, 95810, 95811
Certain prescription drugs require prior authorization. Contact CVS Caremark at 1 (800) 624-5060 to request prior approval or to obtain a list of the drugs that require prior approval.